FAQ – Utah CCW Permits

Many of our students decide to apply to receive Utah Concealed Carry Permits. The permit from Utah is relatively easy to obtain and shows that you have more training and experience when you apply for the New York License. Below you will find answers to frequently asked questions about the Utah permit and application process.

What training is required to apply for the permit?

Utah law requires that you take a Utah certified class curriculum from a Utah state certified instructor. (All of our instructors meet these qualifications)

How old must I be to apply?

Utah State Law Requires that applicants be at least 21 years of age. Your class application and credentials are valid for up to one year after the course, so 20 year olds can take the class and wait until their 21st birthday to submit the application.

What Would Make Me Not Eligible to Obtain the Permit?

Please note that you will not be eligible for a license if you are a felon, been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, have been adjudicated mentally defective, are younger than 20 years old, under arrest or currently charged with a crime punishable by imprisonment for more than one year, been found guilty of crimes of domestic violence, or have a recent alcohol related arrest, including DWI/DWAI. Other than that, if you complete the course, you WILL receive your license…that’s the law. There is no exam.

What About Non-US Citizens?

If you are a non-US citizen, but permanent resident alien, you can obtain the Florida license, also valid in 30+ states.  If you are a PERMANENT RESIDENT ALIEN: submit the documentation issued to you by the Department of Homeland Security, U. S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) giving you permanent resident alien status. You must also submit documentation indicating that you have resided in the state of residence as shown on your application for at least 90 consecutive days prior to the date on which you submit your application. Any of the following documents can be submitted to prove 90 days of consecutive residency PROVIDED THAT YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS APPEAR ON THOSE DOCUMENTS:

  • monthly utility, telephone, power, or cable bills;
  • monthly pay stubs or other documents

How long will I have to wait to receive my permit?

Statute allows for up to 60 days to issue but time can vary.

How long is the class?

We schedule our classes for a 4 hour period. Classes can often go as long as 4 1/2 hours. Class time can vary depending on the size of the class, number of questions, etc.

Do I have to shoot a firearm for this class?

Range Time firing of a weapon is NOT required for this permit.

What if I am not a Utah Resident or don’t have a Utah Driver’s License?

A Utah concealed carry permit is available to residents from ANY state.

With a Utah CCW what states may I carry in?

Please check the map on our home page

Will my or can my neighbors, friends, employer find out I have a CCW?


Must I have a firearm to take this class?

No firearms or ammunition are needed

Must I register my firearm when I receive my permit?

No, Firearms are not registered in Utah.

What is the cost of the permit?

Starting January 1, 2019 the application fees for the CFP are $53.25 for in-state applicants and $63.25 for out of state applicants.

What forms of payment will Utah accept?

Cash, check, Visa, or Mastercard. Checks are accepted only if name and home address is imprinted on the check.

What forms of payment will NewYorkFirearmTraining.com accept?

Cash, check, or credit card (Visa, or MasterCard). We prefer if you pay with a credit card via our website or over the phone with someone in our office. This prevents our instructors from having to collect/carry cash or checks.